| Suscríbete vía RSS

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Getting stuffy

| |


Sorry for the lack of posts, I'm finally recovered from the ComedySportz World Championship that wonderfully devoured my time last week.

The open-wall plumbing, electrical, framing and alarm inspections are complete. Yesterday, JB insulation got started on filling in the walls.

Arriving at the space yesterday afternoon was an interesting experience. With the insulation up, the space is finally starting to feel partitioned. Light doesn't travel around, and sound doesn't carry either. I'm really glad we had Will, the electrician, install temporary ceiling light in each room. It's getting dark in there.

The good news is that we can finally start to see how the rooms will feel, dimension-wise. I was a bit nervous about the proportions, but they seem just right.

The bad news is that I think the in-room acoustics are going to be problematic. With the rooms sectioned off, sound doesn't echo through the entire space anymore. On the other hand, the in-room echo is now obvious. And it's going to be bad.

The hard floors and ceiling cause sound to reverberate repeatedly, as do the parallel walls. I saw this coming, but I'm scared that it's going to be a lot worse than I expected.

All is not lost. First, it's a lot worse in some of the rooms than others. Studio 4, the little one by the door, and Studio 5, the big one, are the worst. The others are pretty good and will probably be fine once we get some furniture in there.

For the problem studios, we have several strategies. After the drywall is in, we'll see how bad it really is and start experimenting.

Drywall starts today.

New photos are up. Click the pic above to go.

1 comments:

Britta said...

I am so pumped for your place to open! I moved here a while back from Austin, and while Portland has many things that Austin does not, it could never touch the great experiences I had at Korean Karaoke in Austin. Perhaps this shall all change soon. I literally yelped and jumped up and down when I put the pieces together as to what was taking over that old tea place. I live on 21st/Hoyt (stumbling distance :P) and practically press my nose up to the window every time I walk by! Good luck and welcome to the 'hood!